Take your Fort McMurray Wood Buffalo experience to new heights. Booking a float plane or helicopter trip lets you see the region from a whole new perspective.
“I’ve never done that before and I can’t wait to do it again,” is something we hear a lot. Explore the meaning of the word “epic” and experience a sky high, breathtaking helicopter or airplane tour, or scenic float plane flight. It’s the best way to see it all, and there are plenty of professional operators offering affordable rates.
Aerial Tour Operators
The region is as vast as it is beautiful. High in the northern sky is one of the best ways to see it. Local experts offer affordable journeys in floatplanes, planes or helicopters, all at affordable rates. Here are some operators offering unique and lofty experiences.
McMurray Aviation Tours
Discover the true north with an aerial tour from McMurray Aviation. You'll see unique, secluded places that have no road access. They can also take you over the city of Fort McMurray, the oil sand sites, and the beautiful boreal forest. All aerial tours run from 40 to 80 minutes. Here are a few of the highlights:
- The longest-running aviation company in Fort McMurray.
- Flights available to Fort Chipewyan and over 17 fishing lodges throughout Northern Alberta and Saskatchewan.
- Flights over the Athabasca Sand Dunes—on both the Alberta and Saskatchewan sides.
- The Gregoire Lake Adventure is an aerial tour of Fort McMurray and includes a water landing in Gregoire Lake, where you can jump off the aircraft floats for a nice swim.
- Custom charters available—ranging from dropping you off at a northern lake for a swim to taking you into the backcountry and dropping you off with your canoe or kayak.
Our pro tip: If you're planning on taking photos, and why wouldn't you, wear dark clothing as you'll get less reflection in the windows. Learn more!